Sunday 2 June 2013

Debenhams Haul


   The other week, Debenhams (always a dangerous place), was having one of their regular 10% off events. I could not resist placing a cheeky order as I was bored to tears with exam prep and needed to cheer myself up with something other than food.



    I'm not sure what it is about getting parcels in the post, it just feels like you're receiving a gift (on the condition you don't check your bank balance afterwards)! I picked up a few things that I had been lusting after for a while, along with a very naughty impulse buy.


   The first thing into my basket was the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural. I've heard so many good things about this powder and now I have it, I feel like all the hype is true! I love the silky texture of it and that it really does seem to blur imperfections and give an airbrushed finish whilst remaining undetectable on the skin. 


MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural

   I went for the shade Medium, which I think was pretty brazen as I am rather pale, but the MAC girl was certain that Light would be too light. Seeing as the reason my Chanel Poudre Universelle Compacte doesn't get as much love as it should (sacrilegious, I know!) is because it can give me a bit of a ghostly look, I decided to throw caution to the wind and go with it! I’ve been wearing it every single day and I now wonder why I waited so long to take the plunge. I’ve also found that it’s excellent compensating for a foundation that isn’t quite the perfect tone for your skin (I find that a lot are too yellow) it seems to make it more natural and skin-like.


  MAC Patina eyeshadow - I finally caved. I've had this shade on my mind ever since having it applied along with Copperplate at MAC a few months ago. At the time, I didn't invest as I was convinced that I had a similar shade at home and plus, I'd only gone in to buy a brush, and so I decided to leave it that day but it's haunted me since. Now it is in my possession, I'm totally in love, and happily, the eyeshadows I thought might be a dupe, are not!

MAC Patina
   In case you haven’t already read about it, Patina is a gorgeous deep gold-y brown colour but without looking golden (if that makes sense?) and it isn’t warm toned. Maybe antique gold is the term I’m looking for – it isn’t orange, more of a taupe with gold shimmer! This is the sort of shade that looks beautiful on all eye colours, whether just a sheer sweep across the lid, or built up in the crease. I really like using this with Walk of Shame from the Naked Basics palette for daytime, or all over with Satin Taupe in the crease for evening.

   I believe Patina is a Frost finish and so the shimmer is fairly subtle and sophisticated, rather than giving a glitterball effect. It has a lovely, soft texture, is so easy to work with and blends like a dream (essential for a novice like me)!


   Guerlain Météorites Perles in Teint Rose. I did not need this, I definitely did not need this. It was a complete impulse buy, ordered purely because it caught my eye and the because the packaging is so pretty and I'd read that they smell of parma violets.
Guerlain Météorites Perles Teint Rose
   When this arrived, I felt guilty as it was so expensive and like I needed to send it back before even opening the box. It spent a couple of days sat on the side before I figured I might as well have a peek inside at the tin. I looked and that was it, I was sold, returning it was no longer an option in my mind. The combination of the gorgeous, film star packaging and the prettiness of the pearls, plus the stellar reviews of this product online, meant I couldn't resist. I'm so glad I did as I simply can't express how beautiful it is. 

   Although I said I didn't need this, I'm not sure if I simply didn't know that I needed it? It leaves a really beautiful, glowing finish on the skin and isn't that what everyone wants? I use it lightly all over my face as a finishing powder after my base is on, or it can be used less sparingly as a highlighter.
  I'm still feeling twinges of guilt but I'm rationalising it by remembering that they will last for years and that the tin is so pretty and will be an excellent trinket box for the dressing table!

  
   Clinique High Impact Curling mascara. This, in my opinion, is so underrated.  I think that in general, Clinique mascaras simply don't get enough love or generate the buzz/hype that they should. I've tried the YSL Faux Cils, Benefit Bad Gal, Diorshow and the Lancome Hypnose and countless High Street mascaras over the years and yet this is still the one for me. It forms little tubes around your lashes adding length and thickness and leaves them beautifully coated and upturned and not clumpy or overdone. It will not run if you get caught in the rain and it won't smudge if you accidentally rub it either, and yet to remove it, all you need is warm water.
Clinique High Impact Curling Mascara
   The High Impact mascara is also fantastic (although the curling version is my favourite) but I always seem to have mini sized ones lying around from Bonus Time gifts, which is very handy! When I last had the High Impact Curling, I used to layer it with the High Impact for nights out and always received lots of compliments on my lashes and how nice they looked.



   The last thing I ordered was the Clinique Super City Block SPF 40 as I've been on the lookout for an all-day SPF to wear under makeup for a while/ever since we had the first peek of sun this year. After looking for a high SPF foundation, I realised how few actually have a high SPF in and so I felt this sort of product would be necessary alongside.

 After the beautiful Anna included the Sheer City Block in this post, Clinique was on my radar. I have very sun-sensitive skin and so a daily SPF is a must for me as, frankly, I don't want any more freckles! 


Clinique Super City Block
   Although this product is tinted, it’s sheer, not orange or dark at all and acts as an excellent primer. I wore this on what was probably the sunniest day of the year from dawn til dusk and didn’t burn (although my neck and chest area is a different story) so I can vouch for the SPF lasting all day!

   Have you tried any of these products? What do you think of them?

  Or have you had any spending splurges recently?


10 comments:

  1. great picks - that guerlain product looks divine! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's the prettiest thing I've ever seen xxx

      Delete
  2. That powder is one of my all time faves!!
    New follower!

    Maddy @ www.BeautyBanterBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so beautiful isn't it, thank you so much! xx

      Delete
  3. wow you picked up some great products! I've heard great things about the Guerlain Meteorites! I've been doing some online shopping myself recently and bought the Trilogy rosehip oil, Nuxe Reve de miel lip balm, Butter London teddy girl nail polish and 3 essie polishes lol! I am going to put myself on a spending ban now lol!
    A MakeupHabit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sooo pretty but so expensive haha. I love that lip balm and I'm desperate to pick up a Butter London polish!

      Delete
  4. You got some seriously pretty bits! used to use city block think I need to get back to it for a good day time SPF!

    beautyandtheb1.co.uk

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using it every day, I'm a complete convert! Can't believe I haven't picked it up until now xx

      Delete
  5. I love everything I've tried by Clinique, so I will be purchasing this mascara soon! Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete